Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Introducing Lola the wonder cow


This is Lola the wonder cow, shse is a 5 year old Jersey cow. We hand milk her everyday and get about 5 gallons of beautiful rich milk. We get about one quart of cream to each gallon of milk. What do we do with all that milk and cream you ask? To start we skim the cream and make butter I'm not talking butter like you get in the store I'm talking the real thing, It takes me about 1/2 hour to make 2 1/2 pounds of all natural beautiful butter. I use the skim milk to make cheese, I love making cheese or I guess what I really like is eating the cheese. I have made about 15 types of cheeses. We sell some cheese but most of it gets used by us. Of course we also drink lots of milk with 5 kids we can go through a gallon a day. I get lots of odd looks from people when I say I have to get home to milk my cow ,it seems that not too many people do this, most think I'm a bit off my rocker for going through all that trouble to get milk, after all I can go to the market and purchase all the milk and dairy products to my hearts content. Well that is true but I can not get milk that is not full of growth hormones and other things that I don't want to feed to my precious children. I agree that having a milk cow is alot of work but well worth it.

No comments: