Sunday, April 29, 2007

lost clutch


We have a remaining 20 or so chickens that did not attend the all you can eat chicken buffet for the local wildlife. In that 20 chickens are several roosters, and they seem to be doing a fairy good job of keeping the hens in line. I was hoping that one of our hens would get "broody" and want to hatch us a batch of chicks to replace some the we. I have been watching this nest of eggs keeping my fingers crossed that in 21 days we would hear the peep peep of new chicks. Well I think the hen got tired of setting there and watching everyone else scratch around and eat bugs so off she went!! What a mother, I am so disappointed! Maybe another hen will take up where she left off, but it seems that we have an abandoned nest for now. I guess I will have to give in and buy day old chicks.

No comments: