Friday, April 18, 2008

Sheep

When we started our small farm dairy I was making cheese like crazy. I love making cheese and most of all I love eating it. When we lived in Puerto Rico we ate a beautiful sheeps-milk cheese at every chance. I thought it would be fun to try to make my own version of that beautiful cheese so I bought sheep. East Friesian are one of the milkier breeds but they tend to be fragile from what I have read so I opted for a cross. We purchased a wonderful East-Friesian ram and then began the search for a few girlfriends. I did a bit of research and decided on Katahdin hair sheep. They tend to be very hardy and great mothers. Five months later we were blessed with beautiful lambs. The only problem.... they were all RAMS!!! Sometimes I have to learn patience the hard way. At least we like lamb, so my freezer will be full this winter

No comments: