Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Think Garden........


The past few years our gardens have been planned with the CSA and Farmers market in mind. They haven't been very pretty as far as design and have needed to be simple long rows. This makes planting, picking and weeding easier. We use plastic mulch for the rows, which is not really pretty, and things are planted to grow vegetables not to be admired.
This year we are not doing a market garden or the CSA, so I can grow what I want and not have to worry if it will sell or not. I am going to use the upper garden by the house. I have a 60x110 area,I would like to do a cottage garden look and have a few raised beds for the perennial herbs and such. I went through some of my seeds to get some started. I am not sure what tomatoes to plant, last year we had over 500 tomato plants with 200 being the colorful heirlooms. I like growing lots of different things so I think I am going to have a hard time just picking a few. What are your favorite tomato varities??

3 comments:

LannaM said...

Oh how fun that you can do whatever you want this year! As for tomato varieties... Kootenai (early ripener, on the sweet side), Gold Nugget (early ripener, easy to pop in your mouth while harvesting), Washington Cherry (for dehydrating), Alaska Fancy (fresh eating, hubby's favorite), and Purple Russian (I like the purple/pink color and the spicy flavor). I have a tendency to gravitate towards quicker ripening things in my chilly growing season. :D

Sunnybrook Farm said...

Hi;
My favorite tomato of last year is a small 1 1/2 inch red volunteer that came up in my pole beans. I really liked the taste and the number of fruits. The vines were incredible and many people wouldn't like it for that reason but one plant kept growing and covered about a 10 foot square and started climbing the bean poles. I saved seed and hope that the characteristics hold true for a second year.

trish Preston said...

Just that photo of food makes my mouth water...can't wait for warm weather and for our garden to get started. Love your blog...very interesting and fun!