Friday, February 27, 2009

Meet Mickey


When we moved here there were a ton on cats. There were several female cats with kittens and a very handsome tom cat. We like cats and just kinda let them be. I guess because we live close to a nice blacktop road it made it easy for people to dump unwanted cats and kittens on our farm. So needless to say we ended up with way too many cats. I had the foolish notion that our farm was pretty much mouse free, I had never seen one. The barn is full of feed and lots of great hiding places for mice. I am in the barn for two hours a day and no mice. I decided that we had a bit of a kitty overload and found homes for all the farm cats. We kept the two that came here with us and found homes for the rest. Well sure enough two days later I go in the barn and a mouse runs across my foot!! I didn't think much of it and went on with the milking. Well over the next few weeks I saw mice almost everyday!! One day I came in the house announcing "we need a cat". My husband just about fell over! ( I think that sometimes I am hard to keep up with LOL) So that very day we had to run to town and pick up a few things and lo and behold there was a person there giving kittens away! We picked one out and brought him home. I put him in the barn and in a few days he had learned to catch mice. He has done a good job and I can now walk through the barn mice free. Now I need to move him over to the chicken coop. It seems that we have a family of rats that has burrowed under the laying boxes! I noticed that something had burrowed but did not know what it was. My awesome husband went out to check chickens one night and saw the rats. EWEEEWWW!! Time for mickey to get to work. I don't think the hens will like a cat in their mist but the rats have to go!! maybe I can dress mickey as a hen??

No comments: